• It’s a method through which we automate admin tasks.
• Configuration Management tool turns your code into infrastructure
• So your code would be Testable, Repeatable & Versionable.
IT infrastructure refers to the composite of :
Pain points :
• Managing user & group accounts
• Dealing with packages
• Taking backup
• Deploying all kinds of applications
• Configure services
Why Configuration Management Tool?
• Ansible is an administration tool. What ever system admins (Linux/windows) used to
do manually, now we are automating all those tasks by using Ansible (Any CM Tool)
• Can use this tool whether your servers are in on-premises or in the cloud.
• It turns your code into infrastructure i.e your computing environment has some of the
same attributes as your application:
– Your code is versionable.
– Your code is repeatable.
– Your code is testable.
• You only need to tell what the desired configuration should be, not how to achieve it
• Through automation, get desired state of server.
• Other tools in the market can be really complicated ..
– huge overhead of Infrastructure setup
– complicated setup
– Pull mechanism
– Lot of learning required
• Pros of Ansible :
– Relies on ssh
– Uses python
– Push mechanism